Wednesday, September 2, 2015

The Music in My Heart



The words to Desiderata were on my half of the bedroom wall and the Beach Boys music blared from the car radio. Three thousand girls and I roamed the halls of Prendie. And, my favorite classes were math and science. I went on to college and graduate school as a chemistry major. But, there was this other “thing” that kept poking at my heart.

So, I finished my degrees and I kept listening for God. How did that happen? I know it sounds a little crazy, but the best I can determine is that there were four things:
1.     A good friend who had entered earlier
2.     Mark 10: the Rich Young Man parable (how could he walk away?)
3.     The book, The Great Lion of God (about St. Paul), and
4.     Music from Godspell and Jesus Christ Superstar.

And that’s how God speaks to me… even still, even today, through those I encounter, books and most often music. I know now that God drew me to and keeps me with the SSJs because of our charism and mission. But why one enters and why one stays are different and yet similar. I have always been in education and I have always loved it. I wanted others to know the passion I had for chemistry and how it makes the world go round but my first love was classroom teaching.  To show how God works from atom… to Eve… is mind-blowing and to care for the earth and all of creation is awesome!
Thirty-eight of my 40 years of education, have been in SSJ affiliated or sponsored schools. Each is filled with the charism and mission of the Sisters of Saint Joseph. But, what I have loved most over the years was the interaction I was able to have with the students, teachers, parents, and the dear neighbor I met as teacher and administrator. There were the great times, and the times I felt I needed to be Solomon-the-Wise. I often think back to decisions which may have changed a young person’s life and how I tried my very best to listen with my head and my heart and my God. I did see the face of God in so many eyes and, so often after the encounter, I would hear God’s voice in a special way.

I hear a singing voice in my prayer.  A minstrel follows me, whispers sweet music in the ears of this one who never took a music lesson in her life. I know I am with God who is always there when I hear the song, whatever it may be. It becomes the mantra of my day and my night. It wakes me and puts me to sleep; best of all, it calls me deeper and deeper to a place where I know my God.
            With His melody He NAMES me   
            The WORDS that form my life
            He has called me to be 
I know, “My song will be for you forever, you the music in my heart!”


Sister Kathleen Letts SSJ

Sister Kathleen Letts has spent her ministerial life in education —  as teacher and administrator.  Currently she ministers at Chestnut Hill College.

1 comment: