Wednesday, September 23, 2015

A Witness to Healing


I’ve wanted to be a Sister since I was in second grade. When I reflect on that desire, I recall that I was very much attracted to the sacred places and holy people I met in my young years. The attraction to Jesus – that desire to be God’s – was deeply satisfied on September 8, 1976 when I entered the Sisters of Saint Joseph!

My religious life is filled with meaningful experiences that continue to draw me closer to the Holy. Since 1991, I have been ministering in Camden, New Jersey. Every day, I see poverty, violence and suffering. There are so many people living in despair, darkness and devastation. In August 1995, a young mom came to Holy Name asking for help. Her 13-year-old daughter had been missing for two days. Tragically, her daughter was found brutally murdered the next day. They welcomed me into their home, their family, and their hearts. I had no idea how God would use me for the next fifteen years! As one year led to another, my life, as a Sister of Saint Joseph and as a social worker, allowed me to be with this family during a five year search for the killer and a 10 year wait for justice. The ministry of “companioning” families of murder victims evolved as others sought help with their traumatic loss. As an SSJ, I am given the opportunity to be faithfully attentive to these families who share their suffering. Their grief is very sacred to me. 

Sometimes people say to me “Camden is so dangerous and dealing with murder is so sad. I don’t know how you do it.” I am able to continue ministering to families because I am a witness to healing. With my own eyes, I have seen their resilient spirit restored as they survive the traumatic experience of the murder of someone they love deeply. I have experienced God’s faithfulness to those whose lives are changed forever and in my own life in the sacred place of suffering and loss.


There is a strength that comes from being powerless in the face of human tragedy. That powerlessness has led me to pray. When I tell others I am praying for them, I am always humbled by their relief and gratitude. +Jesus, comfort the suffering and console the brokenhearted. Use us to bring peace and justice in our world. Amen+

Helen Cole SSJ
Sister Helen grew up in Philadelphia. She graduated from John W. Hallahan Catholic Girls High School. She has taught in Philly, Baltimore, and Camden. She is currently a social worker at Guadalupe Family Services in Camden, NJ.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sister Helen, So wonderful to see your picture and know that you are still working in Camden! I knew you through Sacred Heart and also CCNC, years ago...:) Would you be interested in knowing about a subsidized bus to the Climate March on Sat Apr 29? Leaving from St Mark Lutheran Church, 409 White Horse Pike, Oaklyn NJ 08107. Please call me, Eleanor Dill, at 856-858-1844 if you'd like more info. I was hoping to let Sr. Mary Elizabeth Clark know too -- perhaps you can communicate with her?
    Easter energies to you! Christ is Risen!
    Eleanor (formerly Dill)

    ReplyDelete