Wednesday, September 9, 2015

To Be a Sister of Saint Joseph Is to Be about Relationships


When I was a student at West Philadelphia Catholic High School for Girls in the 1960's, I recognized that there was something unique about the Sisters of Saint Joseph. They were among seven women religious communities who blessed us, students, each day with their gifts and expertise. What was unique about the SSJ's was their ability to relate to us personally - in the classroom, gymnasium, music corridor, lunchroom, publication offices and on the buses we shared with them on our rides back and forth. They touched my heart and helped to foster my religious vocation.

Now, as a Sister of Saint Joseph, I have the privilege to live each day what I observed as a teenager - a mission of active, inclusive love with its special emphasis on relationships.  We believe that "to be a Sister of Saint Joseph is to be about relationships."  This mission has carried me across boundaries and into the hearts and lives of persons I was privileged to meet through the past 50 years.  Imagine the opportunities I had in cities across this country, meeting persons of different genders, races, cultures, ages, experiences and in classrooms, churches, parish offices, soup kitchens and long-term-care facilities. I discovered new personal gifts; I grew in knowledge, spirituality, and awareness, learning that at our core, we are all one.

Recently, I lived with and shared life with six men and women, all so much younger than I am. We were bonded because we were all united by our experience of surviving a traumatic brain injury. We believed in one another, calling forth confidence and hope. My housemates amazed me with their encouragement and openness to share their stories. Because of them I believe that every day is a day to hope for the very best… to believe our prayers are being heard…to have faith good news is on its way and to know that anything can happen between yesterday and tomorrow.  
 My sister is also a Sister of Saint Joseph. Our parents and five siblings along with their spouses, children and grandchildren marvel at the way their lives have been expanded and enriched by having two sisters who are Sisters of Saint Joseph. It has been a mutual enrichment as we enjoyed being invited into their worlds. They are grateful for the new friends they have met through us along the way and for the abundant ways their worlds have been widened through our experiences. Along with them, I am so grateful for this amazing journey of being in relationship with all people, my new neighbors included, who trust and believe in me and in our mission.

Sister Nancy Roche SSJ
 S. Nancy, in addition to having experienced a wide variety of ministries as a Sister of Saint Joseph, also serves as a facilitator for other religious congregations.

No comments:

Post a Comment