Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Eucharist and the Dear Neighbor


"See what you believe... become what you see."  Saint Augustine

As I sat at Eucharist in my parish church, Saint Timothy’s in Philadelphia, I reflected on the meaning of being ONE WITH and the gift of the dear neighbor. Our charism as Sisters of Saint Joseph calls us to be ONE WITH. The inscription in our final vow profession ring reminds us to be “One in Love.”

As I was preparing to celebrate Eucharist, my mind flashed to the row home, a house of welcome and hospitality where I live. It is a sacred space for me because it holds treasured memories of people, events and gatherings both indoors and outdoors. The summer is a special time of gathering with my community of the “dear neighbor.” The garden on my front lawn is one of many opportunities for us to come together and share words, concerns, prayers, time, talent and opportunities for a healthy meal. We care for one another and I feel deep love. 

 For many years in the early spring, John has tilled the soil on the front lawn. PJ tunes up the weed trimmer. Juaquim creates and maintains the fence to protect the garden from the rabbits and squirrels. Christina has a good eye for finding that hidden pepper or squash. Rich fixes the faucet so the hose works properly. I share my lawn mower with the newlywed neighbors who help shovel the snow in the winter. I deliver vegetables to a woman, Cass, who calls to thank me and asks for prayers for her son-in-law who is very sick. I celebrate the noise of little children soaking in the sun in their little pool on the next lawn. I share my umbrella to protect them from the hot rays on a 100° day. Edith and Derek hold a large squash they will take when they visit their family in New Orleans. The phone rings. A neighbor calls to say that two large tomatoes in my garden have ripened and are ready to be picked.  
I am blessed as a Sister of Saint Joseph in many ways. For me the grace of extending my call to be ONE WITH others, the Body of Christ, in a neighborhood with persons who live a very simple life style, who exchange time and talent, people of many ages and cultures is tangible grace at the heart of living Eucharist.

 “If you, therefore, are Christ’s body and members, it is your own mystery that is placed on the Lord’s table! It is your own mystery that you are receiving! You are saying ‘Amen’ to what you are: your response is a personal signature, affirming your faith. When you hear ‘The body of Christ’, you reply ‘Amen.’ Be a member of Christ’s body, then, so that your ‘Amen’ may ring true!”    Saint Augustine Sermon 272

Sister Sharon White SSJ
Sister Sharon is a Doctor of Ministry, a Licensed Clinical Social Worker and Licensed Couple and Family Therapist. Sharon maintains a private practice in Gibbsboro, NJ and travels on a regular basis to minister to those in crisis. Sharon is also a volunteer for the Red Cross of Southeastern Pennsylvania. In this role, she recently accompanied family members who lost a love one at the Amtrak derailment.

1 comment:

  1. Sharon White! All God’s blessings on you and your work! ~Bell

    ReplyDelete