Wednesday, August 12, 2015

All for God's Glory

One lovely summer evening I was walking alone along a quiet street in Sea Isle when I heard a bird “speaking” to me. The sounds were loud and clear, almost melodious. When I looked around I saw a beautiful red bird sitting on a wire above me continuously repeating its song. As I stood there looking up, the red bird flew to a higher level and continued with the performance.  After a few minutes the bird left me but I continued to wonder what the message could be now. 

Usually when I notice the flowers or when birds get my attention, they remind me to contemplate the lilies of the field and the birds of the air and to recognize once again how God cares for them even when they do nothing. This has happened frequently in unusual ways through the years. Did you ever have a bird peck on your window when you were trying to write a eulogy for someone very close to you?  Do you ever notice a bird touching down on your windshield, ever so lightly, as you drive to ministry or home again? In these moments God’s message to me is usually the same—do not worry, do all for God’s glory and God will take care of the rest. 

When we pray together in community, we often use the Canticle of Daniel, which invites not only the birds but all of creation, including ourselves, to give praise and glory to God. A few verses get my special attention:
            Let the birds of the air,
            animals wild and tame,
            together with all living creatures
            praise and exalt God above all forever.    

When I was in Africa a few years ago, I enjoyed an exciting adventure to Mikumi National Park in Tanzania where a multitude of varied species roamed in their natural habitats. Giraffes welcomed us along the road as we approached the park, and lions lay quietly under a tree while we took their pictures. On another occasion, I visited the elephant orphanage and fed a giraffe in the Giraffe Park in Kenya. These experiences broadened my perspective on “animals wild and tame” praising God.

After more reflection on my experience with the red bird singing on the wires, I believe God is inviting me to notice more readily how the birds, animals and all living creatures give praise and glory to God. I am invited anew to join in the celebration!

At the conclusion of his recent Encyclical, Laudato Si, Pope Francis proposes two prayers that invite us to commit ourselves to all of creation. I feel genuine resonance with the line from the Christian prayer: “Give us the grace to feel profoundly joined to everything that is.” It echoes the melody in my heart.

Sister Kathryn Miller SSJ
Sister Kathryn is Assistant to the President for Administration and Special Projects at Chestnut Hill College as well as Secretary to the Board of Directors.  She also serves on the Board of the African Sisters Education Collaborative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment