Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Loving God and Neighbor Without Distinction




“When I was hungry you gave me to eat. When I was thirsty you gave me to drink. When I was a stranger you welcomed me. When I was lacking clothes you gave me clothes. When I was sick you visited me. When I was in prison you visited me” (Matthew 25:35-40). These words have been my favorite passage since I was a child. My family, friends and the Sisters of Saint Joseph, in Saint Mary School, Saint Clair, Pennsylvania were a living witness to this gospel message. The Sisters of Saint Joseph, with their joyful spirit and generous outreach to others, inspired me to enter the Congregation.

Since my entrance into the Congregation, and especially for the last seventeen years in my current ministry at Chestnut Hill College, I have had the opportunity to experience the presence of God in many people.  Each day, I am enlightened by the Spirit working in numerous persons who practice this outreach to others, and by those who afford me the opportunity to do the same. Through networking with other Sisters of Saint Joseph, I’ve been able to direct those in need to the services that will assist them.

Many college students have never met a Sister of Saint Joseph until they arrive at Chestnut Hill College. A student told me that she never thought about outreach to others until she came to Chestnut Hill. She has since realized the many opportunities to assist others. She believes she found God through these opportunities of being “a healing presence.” This student’s faith and works of mercy are a testimony to God working in and through each of us.

It is a humbling experience to practice the works of mercy and to know that what I do for others, I do for Christ.

Sister Marie Bambrick SSJ
Sister Marie currently ministers at Chestnut Hill College in the Division of Teacher Education and Leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment