Wednesday, June 24, 2015

The Other Chair


To develop an intimate relationship with another takes time, many risks and complete trust. As a Sister of Saint Joseph for 60 years, I believe I have begun to develop that intimate relationship with Jesus. What has produced this moment?

As a 17-year-old, my entrance into the community entailed trust. I had no concept of the days, the years ahead. When I began teaching, I had my first wonderful experience of racial diversity through my 83 African American students in my second grade class. Each day, as I remember it now, was a learning experience – for me! During my teaching years, I met so many people with different backgrounds from mine. They each taught me the value of praying, the beauty of diverse hymns, and the trust that God would provide no matter the circumstances. They taught me to try again, that God had a reason for my being there.

Later, my ministry at the SSJ Welcome Center also opened a new world for me. Sometimes I had to check the map to locate the country from which a student was coming! Their acceptance and love for me energized my quiet self. The sacrifice of home, family and country of origin to come to the United States to create a better life for their children told the immigrant story to its depth. They were trusting of God’s directing them and I imbibed that trust each day. My own education was given to me freely; theirs was a trustful place of learning a new language in our hands, the hands of the Sisters of Saint Joseph. We walked with them as they learned to speak English, to read, to communicate, to love the United States, to become citizens.

It is through the people with whom I have ministered that my relationship with Jesus has responded. Now, I sit down and I ask Jesus to take the other chair and we sit together. As a Sister of Saint Joseph, I recognize the trust, the intimacy of my life with Him, as he gently calls me, “Marie.”

There are no outstanding or miraculous moments in my life. There were no events of adventure. There were simply the people who touched my soul, who brought me to my relationship with Jesus who sits with me each day on the other chair.

Sister Marie Lewis SSJ
Sister Marie is a resident of St. Joseph's Villa in Flourtown PA.  She recently celebrated her 60th Jubilee as a Sister of St. Joseph.  After spending her life and ministry in the city, she now enjoys the quiet and relaxing life at the Villa.  

No comments:

Post a Comment