Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Cradled Closer to the Heart of Jesus


September 2015 marks my 40th year as a Sister of Saint Joseph. In these years, the gift of prayer, being sensitive to God’s continued calling and grace have been what I have found to be most fulfilling. God places enticements before me to deepen our relationship while living out my call as a Sister of Saint Joseph. Recently, a question from Father Gustavo Gutierrez increased my desire to be joined with God, “So you say you love the poor? Name them.” This quote has encouraged me to be mindful of naming in prayer the poor person I encounter. I am challenged by a similar admonition from Dorothy Day, “The Gospel takes away our right forever, to discriminate between the deserving and the undeserving poor.”

In my ministry as a therapist, I meet individuals who feel undeserving of God’s love. They are emotionally and spiritually poor from having made the decision to have an abortion. The ministry of Project Rachel saturates these wounded souls with the message, “There is no sin greater than God’s mercy.”  Their poor troubled hearts carry a very unique sorrow that causes them a great deal of suffering. They believe that they have committed the unforgivable sin which makes them feel unholy. I more recently came upon a saying by Matthew Fox that read “God’s first outburst is always compassion.” I found this a remarkable notion and portrait of our great God and God’s reactions to us, and certainly a reminder for me to have that same emotional response with others. The post-abortive clients I meet are so ready to be condemned, punished and shamed for what they have done. To be part of a ministry that hands them only an awareness of God’s mercy and healing is a wonderful gift.  It is just the opposite of what they think they deserve. The SSJ vocation of reconciliation and healing allows me to introduce them to Jesus who knows their pain as well as their child. I share with them this beautiful statue that is in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.  It lets them know that “nothing can separate us from the love of God,” not even an abortion.  They experience their child as cradled in the arms of the Lord. (http://lancastergardenofhope.com/)


 To conclude, I would like to borrow a signature saying of Oprah Winfrey:  “What I know for sure…” While interviewing others she asks them to complete that sentence. “What do you know for sure…?” What I know for sure is that God is faithful; we are never alone. My vocation, my relationship with God is deepened by a song with that sentiment and assurance.  “I Am Not Alone”- Kari Jobe is a reminder to me; it encourages me and gives me faith, hope and love each day as I continue to live the treasure of vocation that is being a Sister of Saint. Joseph. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow4OfW4DP9s) May your listening bring you a sense of being cradled closer to the Heart of Jesus.

Sister Meg Cole SSJ

Sister Meg is a licensed  Marriage and Family therapist at Catholic Charities in the Diocese of Allentown, PA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment