Wednesday, July 15, 2015

The Place of Encounter


A number of years ago while I was studying Liturgy, one of my professors put up a print from the ”Creation of Adam” fresco by Michelangelo found in the Sistine Chapel. The print depicts the finger of God reaching for the finger of Adam.

This Jesuit priest told his class that the space between God’s finger and Adam’s finger is the Eucharist, the Liturgy—the place of encounter with the living God. I never forgot that statement and it continues to draw me into contemplation to this very day. My Jesuit teacher’s reflection reminded me so much of a quote from a letter of another Jesuit, Jean-Pierre Medaille who reminded all the daughters of Joseph, "Now, my dear daughters, is not all found in a marvelous manner in the Eucharist?" 

Core to my daily prayer is the Eucharist. On a daily basis, it is my privilege to be invited into this marvelous Oneness between God and humanity in the Eucharist. I stand in awe at the nearness of God and all creation in the celebration.

Sister Sandy DeMasi SSJ
  
Sister Sandy is a Pastoral Associate for Liturgy in Saint Rose of Lima Parish in Short Hills, NJ and a consultant for RCL Benziger Religion Publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment