Wednesday, January 14, 2015

What I Believe

As postulants and novices, we were taught the importance of focused, daily prayer as a way to deepen our relationship with Jesus. Although “showing up” each day was difficult at first, this time with God is precious to me. Lately, reading Creighton University’s “Online Reflections” often serves as a springboard to my own prayer and provides something to carry with me throughout the day. One writer recently quoted Sister Helen Prejean, a Sister of St. Joseph who works with death row inmates. Her quote, “I watch what I do to see what I really believe,” really caught my eye and touched my heart. Hmmm…what do I really believe? Do my actions match my beliefs? After prayer that morning I felt moved to consciously recall this quote as often as I could as a reminder to be authentic in what I do and say as I go about my day.

Sometime later, I went over to Church to put up signs advertising the poor box outreach. As I went inside, there were two parishioners standing with a third parishioner who was softly crying. I didn’t wish to intrude on their conversation, so I quickly went on to finish my task. However, the quote sprung to my mind and I had to ask myself: do I believe the saying “To be a Sister of St. Joseph is to be about relationships?” Was I missing a chance to truly live out that belief? Why didn’t I join the three women, all of whom I knew? Was “I don’t want to disturb them” just an excuse not to be with them? I felt a distinct nudge to return to the little group and just be present to them, although I wasn’t at all sure of what my presence would add to the situation. After a short, pleasant conversation with them, the third woman left. One of the ladies then turned to me and said, “Sister, please pray for her…she’s having a hard time.” It turns out that the woman who had been sharing her struggle with losing her husband just a short time ago. I promised to pray for her, but I remembered receiving Father Ed Hayes’ “Psalm for the Dying” after the death of a dear friend and how it helped me in my own sadness. I offered to give both women a copy of it to give to the new widow—would they like that? We walked over to my office and I gave them each a copy. “This is good!” said one, and the other agreed, saying, “This is perfect! Thank you for stopping to talk to us!”

No….it was the both of YOU whom I should be thanking—for reminding me of the importance of being present to someone who needed a listening ear and words of comfort. Such a small, ordinary event - but one that reminded me not to pass up opportunities to watch what I do to see what I believe.

Sister Patricia Mensing, SSJ

Sister Patricia Mensing currently serves as the Pastoral Associate for Social Justice/Social Concerns at Our Lady of Mercy Church in Potomac, MD; she also offers spiritual direction, retreats, and days of reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment