Wednesday, January 7, 2015

A Reflection Inspired by a Magnolia Tree

I first met Magnolia when I moved into Thea House in Newark, NJ a little over 10 years ago. There she was, right outside my bedroom window. Right away we developed a relationship through which I grew into a closer relationship with our loving God and the Paschal Mystery of the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus.

I always face my window during my morning time of prayer.  It was summer when I moved into Thea House and Magnolia’s many leaves were very green and she looked as though she were greeting me so I started to speak to her.  I told her how beautiful she was and I thanked her for always being there even when I was absent or not aware of her presence.  I reflected on how much this spoke to me of God.  God is beautiful and wants me to soak up and enjoy the beauty in nature and my surroundings.  More importantly, God is always present even when my mind and heart are not aware that God is there.  This truly touched my heart and I ended saying a prayer of thanks to God for always being there for me, even when I am not aware of God’s presence.  This has been and continues to be a great source of strength for me, especially in times of anxiety or stress.

The photo shows Magnolia attired in her early fall garments.  Her leaves are just beginning to turn yellow and brown, a sign that they are dying and will soon fall to the ground.  Winter is a time when the dying is complete – there are no leaves on Magnolia’s branches since she has given them up to the dying.  This is such a potent reminder to me of the suffering and death of Jesus.  However, Jesus’ suffering and death were not the end of the story.  We know from Scripture that he promised his disciples that, even though he would suffer and die a terrible death, he would rise from the dead.  This gave those who believed great hope.  Magnolia’s buds, visible from late summer to spring, are a sign of great hope since they hold the beauty that will blossom into new life in the spring.  The buds are visible in the lower portion of the photo – look closely.

Magnolia has taught me much about our loving God and God’s Son Jesus:  God is always present even when I am unaware of his presence; Jesus willingly suffered and died for love of me; Jesus rose gloriously from the dead and gave me the hope of eternal life.  What a lesson!

The Constitutions of the Sisters of St Joseph states “Our prayer. . . calls us into relationship with God, self, and the neighbor.  Through prayer, Jesus enables us to enter more fully and more freely into the celebration of the Paschal Mystery in a life of self-emptying love and service.”  Magnolia inspires me to live these words.

Sister Joan Suberati SSJ
Born and raised in New Jersey, Sister Joan entered the Sisters of St. Joseph of Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia in 1964.  Her ministry for most of her years in Religious Life was in education -- from elementary through high school, culminating in 16 years in Administration.  Now in her "Golden Years," Sister Joan is waiting to begin a new secretarial ministry that will involve a little less responsibility.  Throughout all her years, Sister Joan’s prayer life and love of Scripture have been very important to her.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Joan, this reminds me of how much I am in love with nature. Right outside my window I can see the sunrise every day! How close this makes me feel to God.
    Lovingly,
    Mary Elizabeth Clark,SSJ

    ReplyDelete