Thursday, January 1, 2015

Jesus of the Streets


The afflicted and the needy seek water in vain , their tongues are parched with thirst. I, the Lord will answer them.  Isaiah 41:17

Last week as I as traveling home from Philly, I had the most awesome experience of Jesus. As I was turning off the Vine Street Expressway and approaching the Ben Franklin Bridge there are always some homeless people asking for help, carrying their signs up and down in between the cars. My first reaction is not to make eye contact especially because I am traveling alone and to keep going as the light changes. But this time God wanted me to see through what could appear uncomfortable and experience His son, Jesus, walking the streets of Philly. As I sat there my heart began to feel this burning desire to experience this stranger. I looked over and we made eye contact and for a few moments no words were needed. He had the most beautiful blue eyes and kind smile. I lowered my window and gave him a few dollars that I had in my pocket, and the light  changed . As I was closing my window, I heard him say, “Merry Christmas.”  During he rest of the ride home, I reflected on this unusual experience.  Lately  God had opened my eyes to see the ordinary things in a very extraordinary way.  I just had a real life “God” moment. In our world today we have to be so careful of what we do and  whom we speak to but in this case all my walls were down and God’s loving embrace was very present.

During the Advent and Christmas time, God speaks of trust, hope, and love. My life has been filled with so many moments of God’s presence. Since the deaths of my parents, I have seen and experienced the everyday  in such  an  awesome way. God’s loving arms are so comforting and my  parents’ love just continues to pour out to me through this love. This experience of seeing homeless people walking the streets of our cities is not a new experience for me, but this time God wanted me to see him in a different way. So this lesson has taught me to see with new eyes and continue to reverence each and every moment with those I love.

My last CD was truly one of those special moments. Loss is a very difficult experience, but losing both parents for me was devastating. God allowed me to grieve through my songs but at the end healed my heart. In turn these songs have helped so many people move through whatever they needed to heal in their own lives.

The poet Hafiz wrote: “The place you are right now God circled on a map for you.” This Advent and Christmas time have certainly been very different for me. A time of great happenings! A time of new beginnings! A time of great love and hope! A time to dream and let God make it all happen! 

God’s peace,
JudithAnn Loschiavo, SSJ

Sister Judy has  lived and taught first grade at St. Joseph Regional School, Somers Point NJ for the past 20 years. She has produced four CDs which were all wonderful, prayerful experiences for her.  She wrote all the lyrics to the songs on her latest CD, titled, “New Beginnings.” These songs were a reflection and deep prayer after both of her parents’ passing. She also coaches JV girls  basketball , helps out with the school’s Chess Club and cantors for her school and parish liturgies. She loves photography and listening to music.  

No comments:

Post a Comment