Wednesday, January 28, 2015

The Melody of My Life


I have been a Sister of Saint Joseph for over 63 years.  In all those years, I have been very happy and have had several fruitful ministries, most of which have been in education. When I entered in 1951 the only ministry available was in education, and that suited me fine, because I always wanted to teach music – which is what I get to do! Initially I taught school and music but when I was asked to teach music alone, I was really happy.  I had a choir, a small band, and I taught music in various classrooms.  I also cantored in Church for a number of years.

Today, a young woman interested in our Congregation could do almost anything she wished, as long as there would be a need.  I have seen many changes in our Congregation through the years.  We seem to have the knack of being mindful of the signs of the times.  There are opportunities to become a nurse or a doctor, a lawyer or a social worker.  All these ministries are available. 

For the past 43 years I have ministered at Chestnut Hill College.  For most of that time I have been a Professor, but for a few years I was in Administration. I must confess that I prefer the teaching end of my career.  I was Chair of the Music Department and chair of the Humanities Division.  Then I became Associate Dean of the Undergraduate School, hiring and meeting with adjuncts each semester.
           
My most enjoyable time was when I was able to perform and give recitals. When I was on sabbatical in the 1990’s I gave a flute recital in Minnesota. That memory continues to be special to me. During that sabbatical, I also had the privilege of living with Native American people (Ojibway) for several months.  I learned so much from them and I still teach a course in Native American Music, Art and Culture.
           
Five years ago I made a thirty-day retreat at our house in Cape May Pont, New Jersey.  It was a time of prayer and reflection on the Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius.  There were eight of us at the time.  At age 75 I did not realize how much I still needed to learn about myself and my relationship with Jesus. I was reminded that just as the flute depends upon the one who plays it for its melody, so too do I desire to live my life open to the melody God wishes to bring forth from me.  It was a very special time and for that I am most grateful.

I am not yet ready to retire! I love what I do and as long as God gives me the strength I will continue.  I find that the young people keep me at least thinking young.  They are refreshing, and so eager to learn.  Some of them want to be music teachers, and others will go into performance.  But all of them are what keep me going!

At present I live in a local Community with five other Sisters of Saint Joseph.  We work hard at being true to our promises to God and one another.  The dear neighbor is someone very special to us, and we, though imperfect, strive to be as faithful as we can. 

Sister Barbara Glennon, SSJ
Sister Barbara currently serves as a Professor of Music at Chestnut Hill College.

No comments:

Post a Comment