Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Wonder and Mystery


I have always been drawn to Wonder, and intrigued by where it has led me, whether it is about things and their origins, or about the kind of Wonder that takes me deeper, into Mystery. I have often tested some of my wonderings with my trusted friends. An example of what I wonder about is the “egg!” Who had the thought, “That looks good, let’s eat it?” Better yet, how long did it take before we said, “Let’s fry it?” I hope you are laughing or at least smiling. Most of the time my friends offer a polite smile, and continue to wonder about me!

Seriously, I love to wonder, and I believe I will always ponder what it takes to elicit this in others. What is it like to be caught in the Mystery of God, revealing through time? I ask, “How do I live a life of Wonder and Mystery, while inviting others to do the same?

When I considered college, and my future, my sense of Wonder drew me further inward. I began to experience an awareness of Mystery in a place where answers are elusive, and words disappear. I wondered if this sensation was real or was it the pressure to move on with my life? Was I being lured by Mystery. Was I being chosen?


Time passed, my horizons broadened, and I became attracted to a woman who brought me to another level of Wonder about my life’s direction. I wondered why she came into my life? Why did she become a Sister of Saint Joseph? It was evident she could have chosen any vocation she desired? What was it about her person that was radiant whenever I saw her? Why did I feel more me when I was with her? What was it about her that made others want to be in her presence? I have come to know and believe it was Mystery that found her heart, called her into being, forming her true self. Something happened I could not explain. I asked myself, “Is this the same Mystery that caught and is wedged in my heart, which continues to mold and shape me to become my best self?”

Presently, I keep asking myself, do I make people wonder, are they taken by my presence in a way that makes them wonder about their future? Do they see or feel something inspiring when I am with them? Do I make them wonder about the Mystery of being chosen by our God?

How does one cultivate Wonder and Mystery in one’s life? Pray, wonder about eggs, pray, make people laugh, pray for Mystery to embrace you, laugh some more, fry an egg, pray for the grace to be attentive to God’s breaking through each day, and say “yes” to Mystery and the place where there are no words. Wonder some more!

Kathleen Brabson, SSJ
Sister Kathleen serves as the president of Mount Saint Joseph Academy, where she has been in ministry for over twenty years. She sees each day as a new day with the young women of the Mount community. S. Kathleen finds wonderful role models in the women who have "laced a legacy," of courage, vision, and great love that inspire her everyday. She enjoys walking on the Wissahickon, sharing a meal with family and friends, and being with the Mount community.

3 comments:

  1. Wonder is a questioning and a discovering. All is wrapped in wonder. A beautiful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for inviting us to wonder, Kathy!- Eileen

    ReplyDelete