Wednesday, November 26, 2014

At Every Moment, God Awaits



Two years ago I was drawn to an excerpt from Pierre Teilhard’s Hymn of the Universe and used it on bookmarks for my writing center colleagues.

                        . . . at every moment
                        God awaits us in the activity,
                        the work to be done,
                       which every moment brings.
                      God is, in a sense,
                      at the point of my pen, my pick,
                     my paint brush, my needle . . . .

God awaits us. . . at the point of my pen. . . .

Although I believe that I am always in the presence of God, there are times when I have a deep experience of God’s presence in “the work to be done.”

Some of that work is with student writers who come to discuss their personal narrative essays, an assignment that includes elements of conflict, tension and resolution. Students—some whom I have never met before—share a story in a conference that invites their active participation. Our goal is that the students will improve a specific piece of writing and, in the process, learn or practice skills that they can apply to their next writing project. At its best, this process is highly interactive and usually offers more than I anticipate.

What some may see as dry details of essay structure, paragraph unity, coherence and sentence variety, actually yield treasures hidden in folds of a narrative piece—expressions of gratitude, worry, compassion, regret, friendship, humor, optimism, challenge, success or failure. In a diverse student body, these stories flow through a rich spectrum of cultures.

Unlike the objective style of a research paper, the narrative is self-revelatory. It’s a way of saying “this is a snapshot of who I was at a particular moment in my life when I was challenged, and this is what I learned about myself. Even in an atmosphere of welcome and appreciation, this type of writing is so personal that it takes a certain level of openness and trust to share a story face to face with a tutor. In the season of the narrative assignment, these interactions have offered me unexpected glimpses of God, our gracious Mystery. What gifts!

They prompt me to ask myself how I can share more openly and be more trusting. Both qualities are central to a practice that we Sisters of Saint Joseph call Sharing the State of the Heart. Simply, this is a prayerful gathering to share how we have experienced a deeper awareness of God’s action in our everyday lives. It is an opportunity to honor grace among us and to notice our response so that we might be able live our mission more authentically. This SSJ prayer, that I value deeply, is a communal process that builds on awareness, trust, and simplicity.

Student writers may be surprised to learn that they have had an influence on my relationship with God and others. But maybe not. In an environment that honors each person as “dear neighbor,” some may recognize that every interaction holds the potential for a sacred encounter.

Yes, God awaits at the point of my pen, at the click of my keystroke, and in every story.

Sister Roberta Archibald, SSJ
Sister Roberta Archibald SSJ works with an amazing team of student-faculty writing tutors at Chestnut Hill College. She also serves as Archival Associate for the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Philadelphia. If you are interested in the founding stories of the Sisters of Saint Joseph, Sister Roberta will be happy to arrange a tour of the SSJ Heritage Area for you and your friends. Check your calendar and call for a visit @ 215-248-7270.
 

2 comments:

  1. What a ministry! What a beautiful way to encounter the dear neighbor. Thanks Roberta!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your own story is filled with grace, Roberta.
    Thank you for helping others to see God in theirs.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete