Wednesday, November 12, 2014

It's the Simple Things...






My days are filled with privileged visits with patients and families.  And often, as I head out the door of a hospital room I hear myself say, “Now where did that come from?” or “Did you hear what you just said?”   One of my favorites has to do with a woman patient whom the nurses and doctors described as depressed.  I had had at least three visits with this woman before she went home. All three visits did not seem to go anywhere.  Two weeks went by and a nurse on oncology sent for me to visit “Helen” who was back for treatment and was despondent.  I went to Helen’s room, introduced myself, indicated that we had met before and offered a time and space for identifying and responding to her needs.  Again I got no response, no eye contact, and no seeming acknowledgement of engagement.  The next thing I hear coming out of my mouth is, “Helen, I don’t know what would be a comfort to you at this time, but I could talk with you, be silent with you, I could even just curl up like a cat and be at your side so you are not alone.”  With that there was a giggle and a turning to meet my eyes.  Then, Helen resumed her previous shut down. 

The next morning the same nurse sent for me again to go to Helen’s room.  She did not give me any new information.  Helen had the shade up, her hair fixed, she greeted me coming into the room and we had a “regular” pastoral visit.  The nurse later told me she had sent for me just because she wanted me to see the difference which had unfolded after I had visited the previous day.  Helen had two more hospitalizations before she died.  I found out she had three cats at home. 

God is so simple with each of us.   God says, “Can I just curl up at your side and be with you through this time of grief, of emptiness, of insecurity, of loneliness, of confusion?”  “Can I just be with you?”

Simply,
Peg Conboy

No comments:

Post a Comment