Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Urban Sea


One of my earliest recollections of being called to religious life involved the scene of Jesus walking along the Sea of Galilee--calling ordinary folk to follow Him. So, leaving their nets behind, they did.  Centuries later, I did as well.

While the sea in every form captivates me so much still, my "sea" has, for most of my religious life, been urban city streets in Newark and North Philadelphia.

I could never have imagined this life for myself! I could never have scripted how this living, working and "being with" my sisters and brothers at the margins has both challenged and enriched me.

Community prayer, church and school prayer as well as private prayer have led me to a place of inner and outer freedom. This freedom has allowed me, in the way I am able to live my life as a Sister of Saint Joseph, to respond and to be present to all kinds of folks, with few limits or boundaries on my service or my presence. This both humbles and excites me...especially on days I am fully attentive...

As an SSJ, never knowing on any given day exactly what will be "required" of me, I am daily re-awakened and stretched to live this call. I have come to know and to trust that "the little I have" will be enough as Jesus' spirit transforms and enlarges. I have the daily opportunity, along with my Sisters, to be impelled and emboldened as we attempt to “be Jesus” in this day, in "whatever" place.

Fasten your seat belts. God is in charge! Let’s go!

Sister Nancy Fitzgerald, SSJ

Sister Nancy has spent her entire religious life in Philadelphia and Newark serving in urban education, a field to which she is committed and about which she is passionate. She currently serves as the Principal of Saint Martin de Porres Catholic School in North Philadelphia.

No comments:

Post a Comment