Wednesday, October 29, 2014

We Are All Related




Each year since 2007, the approach of early October
brings my spirit back to that year when I lived and ministered
among the Lakota Indians on the Rosebud Reservation in
South Dakota.
Thanks to the time I was welcomed among these
beautiful people, my spirituality continues to deepen in so many ways.
One of the greatest gifts my Lakota friends gave to me is the phrase they
use as a common greeting.
Mitakuye Oyasin, translated “We are
all related,” serves as an ongoing reminder to me of the interconnectedness
of all “nations” (things and people, to the Lakota) in the great Circle of Life.

In addition, each October, I am reminded to stand in solidarity with my “relatives”
in the state of South Dakota where “Columbus Day” has been renamed “Native American Day.”

Someday, may all of Creation truly live as One..and may I do my part to help that happen.
Mitakuye Oyasin!!

Sister Peg Oravez, SSJ

Sister Peg has served in elementary, high school and college education, as well as adult faith formation and vocation ministries over her years since entrance into the Congregation. Central to all of these ministries has been her passion for spiritual companioning in both formal and informal ways.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to be reminded of my immense and loving family.
    Thanks, Peg.

    ReplyDelete