Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Walk the Way of My Poor


The summer I made my Final Vows as a Sister of Saint Joseph, I felt a very strong call to be with people who are marginalized. What an awesome gift God gave me in July a few years ago.

“Gently, quietly,
and quite undramatically
a voice whispered, ‘Follow.’ All around me a presence persisted.
Amidst crowds, chimes, songs, and words of final consecration
a Love unwarranted - embraced me.”

“My anointing stirred flames of fervor in my heart,
and with wild surprise my life’s journey changed course forever.
In a gentle rush, the Spirit’s breath swept over my being.
God unveiled a new vision for me,
crystal clear and powerfully direct,
‘Walk the way of my poor.’”

The way of a Sister of Saint Joseph is about relationships. In my life God has given me many opportunities to meet all kinds of people and experience a vast number of cultures. All I can do is give thanks to God for allowing my path to cross with so many remarkable and courageous human beings.

Most of my religious life I have lived in a city setting. The landscape of the city is unique. It has small corner grocery stores, food trucks, vendors and traffic. The landscape is also filled with all kinds of people. The people make a drab barren cityscape a colorful canvas. It is in the faces of the people where I come face to face with God.

·      A vet who sweeps the pavement for a sandwich
·      An immigrant who longs to be with family
·      A homeless man who asks for a drink
·      A woman who is looking for work
·      Neighbors who help each other during bad weather
·      Volunteers who are generous and faithful

Walking the city-way for many years now, I know God is right at my side. As a Sister of Saint Joseph, God is asking me to be a “welcoming presence” to all who come and knock at our door. Each new face is God’s invitation to love all people “without distinction.” When I made my final commitment, I was so unaware of the abundance that would fill my heart. Religious life has granted me an opportunity to walk an amazing journey with God and others. My gratitude is tangible and my trust solid.

Many years ago a sacred voice penetrated my soul.
Today, stronger still, I listen to familiar, gentle urgings,
“Continue to walk the way of my poor.”

Sister Pat Madden, SSJ

1 comment:

  1. You walk with integrity, Pat.
    Thank you for reminding us of the holiness "in the city of Brotherly/Sisterly Love."

    Marie

    ReplyDelete