Monday, October 13, 2014

On Looking More Deeply


“Technologically savvy” is not a phrase that I have ever used to describe myself.  Before this summer, I had never snap chatted, instagrammed, or tweeted and my relationship with Facebook was a totally casual one. I knew that moving into Vocation Ministry would demand that I embrace the online world - that social media would be a milieu in which I would need to feel at home, but I needed to start small.  First, I had to master the art of using the camera on my brand new smart phone – should be easy, right? I think not. 

Picture it, retreat August 2014 a sunset as beautiful as any I had ever seen. The colors turned the sky into an artist’s canvas and I felt compelled to immortalize it.  Instead, what I got was shot after shot of a blurry hazy ball of orange nothing.  Frustrated, I held the camera face down in front of me trying to figure out how in the world to “zoom in” so that I could see something, anything with a little more clarity.  I accidentally pushed the shutter button and this is what I saw:
This was most definitely not the lovely sunset still happening in front of me! In fact, it took me a few moments to realize what I was seeing - the sand magnified so many times that each individual sparkling grain can be seen in all of its glory! It caught my attention and touched my heart immediately. This brown, ugly, grainy dirt below my feet held such boundless beauty – talk about holy ground!

So, I “zoomed out” and took the same picture again and realized of course that this is what my own limited eyes always see whenever I look at the sand.  Not quite so wondrous.

Seeing this, I began to wonder what else I miss when I don’t look deeply enough - when I don’t take the time to reflect on the experiences that I have each day – to pray for wisdom and grace with regard to each interaction, relationship, phone call, task, etc.  What deeper meaning is right there just below the surface if only I take the time with God to look more deeply?

After all, isn’t this what our life as Sisters of Saint Joseph is all about – being contemplatives in action? Doesn’t it ask that we not only take the time to reflect on our experiences but that we become so in tune with God that every action is, in and of itself, a moment of contemplation? If, with the help of God’s grace, I live in such a way to cultivate that kind of contemplative heart and spirit, I have a feeling that more of my days would match the beauty, insight, wisdom, clarity and depth of the first picture. May it be so!


Sister Michelle Lesher, SSJ
Sister Michelle is a Sister of Saint Joseph of Philadelphia currently serving as Co-Director of Vocation Ministry with Sister Celeste Mokryzcki. She is passionate about Faith Formation, especially for Youth and Young Adults.

1 comment:

  1. Always good to be reminded of what truly matters--to see as God sees. Thanks, Michelle.
    Marie

    ReplyDelete