Wednesday, December 16, 2015

One Among the Many


The upper porch of St. Mary’s by the Sea has long been a sacred place of prayer
for me. Gentle whispers of insight speak to me
as I listen to the waves and the song of the gulls.
God’s Majesty and Mystery are visible as invisible grace
kisses my soul.
My heart opens to welcome the Holy One.

When I sat there on The Chair on the 60th anniversary of my entrance
I asked the Trinity to bless me with creative energy, generous compassion, and
deep listening. I asked for the grace of holy self- surrender. (Maxim24)
I could almost hear Jesus chuckle and tell me to be still
because every time I pray I ask for this blessing and grace.
Jesus said: Be still…I am here, always with you.

Jesus has been my compass and guide throughout my journey as a Sister of St. Joseph.
In my senior year of business school I was planning to enter a different community
until I met the Sisters of St. Joseph at Holy Souls Convent, Philadelphia. A Sister with a
beautiful smile invited me into the house and served me a cup of tea. I heard laughter
echo from another part of the house. Years later the image of Jesus laughing among those
Sisters blessed me to tell me that it was Jesus who led me to SSJ. Jesus set the compass
of my life by laughing along a few happy women.

The more I learned about our history, the more I desired to visit our roots in Le Puy and Lyon.
The stories of courage, simplicity and the fidelity of our Founders showed me that the
Little Design was truly God’s Design for me. It has been at the center of my sharing our charism
as a teacher, pastoral minister and spiritual director. It is often the focus of my poetry.

AS I SEE US
WE WALK THE PATH HALLOWED BY OUR FOREMOTHERS,
ENRICHED BY THE COURAGE AND FIDELITY OF SO MANY SILENT SENTINELS WHO KEPT WATCH,
WHO PATTERNED THE LACE OF UNITY WE CHERISH.
WE WALK TOGETHER TODAY WITH A NEW BOLDNESS AS THE RADICAL EMBRACE OF MISSION
DEFINES US TO STAND UP ALONG THE MARGINS AS WHO WE ARE.


I am happy to be one among the many.

Mary Catherine Walton SSJ 
 
Sister Mary Catherine grew up in the Kensington section of Philly, and attended St. Boniface School.
She is the eldest of five born to Bernard and Rita. Sister Miriam Joseph was her younger sister,
George, Joe, and Michael completed the family her dad proudly called "Walton, Inc."
Her ministries included primary education, Pastoral Ministry, and she currently serves as a spiritual
director and retreat leader. 

2 comments:

  1. I spent 8 years of my life being taught by the Sisters of Saint Joseph;Saint Gregory's 1946-1954. I came to love them. Now in my older years I only wish I knew what ever Happened to them. I hope they got to spend their older years in Cape May.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to talk with you today about your sister.

    ReplyDelete