Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Springs of Living Water


At times we have all been thirsty—physically or spiritually – desperate to do almost anything to feel renewed, refreshed, revitalized. We know that where there is water there is life! ­­­­­­­I have always been drawn to the sacredness of water. Therefore, I have purposely planned my retreats beside water.

During one particular retreat, I was drawn to pray beside an Artesian well. Having come to this retreat after several recent losses, I myself felt like this now-empty well, needing desperately to be filled and refreshed. I randomly opened to the Gospel passage of Jesus meeting the Samaritan Woman at the well.  God’s message in this gospel touched me in surprisingly profound ways.  

This image of “holy” water and my love of this Gospel story emerged later as my Jubilee theme. Through the years I continue to ponder this Gospel story, perhaps because I so easily identify with the Samaritan woman.  Many times I am this woman – living out the ordinariness of each day, balancing my concerns and desires, searching for solitude, yearning for answers, always faithfully attempting to fulfill my calling by returning daily to this sacred well…returning to fill my jar, hoping to share with others this gift of life-giving water.

Often, like the Samaritan woman, I am caught off guard by the tangible presence of Jesus. Jesus appears in the form of a co-worker, a member of my local community, an associate, a friend, a sister to whom I minister, or even a complete stranger. Meeting at the well, we talk, we listen, we encourage, we share, and I find myself leaving refreshed and renewed!

In John’s Gospel, Jesus says to the Samaritan woman, “If you but knew the gift of God…”  I feel blessed to recognize this “gift of God” in my ministry as SSJ Director of Senior Services, as I share the hopes and dreams of so many sisters who come to meet Jesus at the well.  As true SSJs, our sisters bring their deep spirituality and overwhelming generosity to serve the dear neighbor. They inspire me with their strong faith that Jesus will indeed re-fill their jar to overflowing with life-giving water.

I am sincerely in awe of these sisters who have lived their entire lives in service and are determined to pursue new opportunities, accomplishing “good works.” They amaze me!  They inspire me!

In my quest to be true to my religious vocation, to re-commit each day to living my religious life as a Sister of Joseph in service to God, others, and for the good of our planet, I picture myself as the Samaritan woman returning daily to the well.  In reality, our senior sisters fill my empty jar – fill me — with living water!

Sister Eileen Dorothy Maguire SSJ
Sister Eileen Dorothy has spent most of her ministry in education, as teacher and administrator, and has also been involved in parish faith formation and spiritual direction.  She is currently the SSJ Director of Senior Services.

No comments:

Post a Comment