Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Challenge of Seeing God in the Ordinary


Each day, as the Co-director of Faith and Family Life Formation for the Diocese of Camden, I often find myself running from one activity to another, getting caught up in the details of planning, collecting information, distributing information to parishes, and having very little direct contact ministering to God’s people. Even after five years, this seems so difficult not participating in parish life. Getting so caught up in the everyday responsibilities I often miss the various subtle ways God walks with me during the day.
Last week there was a moment of grace as we gathered with our three Echo Apprentices from Notre Dame University. These three young women spent the last two years ministering with a “veteran” DRE in a parish setting. We spent two days talking and praying about the experiences of these two years. God’s presence was very evident during our time together - in the quiet walks, watching the sunrise, sharing meals and other experiences.
We have all returned to our places of ministry. The three apprentices will be leaving us soon, to go back and graduate from Notre Dame and then to begin their call to ministry in the Church.  As for myself, as I return to the “ordinary” tasks of diocesan ministry, I am more deeply challenged to pay attention, to be aware. God is always walking with me, generously giving me the graces I need to minister in God’s church. The challenge for me is to continue to recognize God’s presence in the very ordinary tasks of ministry.
Kathy Burton SSJ
Sister Kathy Burton is presently serving as the Co-Director of Faith and Family Life in the Office of Lifelong Faith Formation for the Diocese of Camden.

No comments:

Post a Comment