Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Finding God

Each morning as I awake, I utter a simple prayer asking God to help me know what God desires of my heart this day. Some days I see God’s love in those I encounter in my ministry, in community and in my friendships and family. And sometimes I am too preoccupied with what needs to be done next to see God’s presence in the moment. But each day is a new day and a new beginning to grow in the realization of God’s Love around me.

Through the years God has led me on paths I would have never imagined traveling. My love of teaching and working with young people has led me to spend time in four African countries for several summers. While there, I work with African Sisters to help them learn how to use technology so that they can better help those they serve. Their joy, enthusiasm and love of God shines through them in the midst of the little they have. Living, praying, working and playing with these sisters has taught me to find God in joy and gratitude wherever I am.

 For the past several years, I have had the graced opportunity to accompany groups of our college students on a service trip to Appalachia during spring break. The spirit-filled generosity of these young women and men and their gentle, loving way with the people they meet and with each other have truly been an inspiration to me and a sign of God’s love alive in them.

 Having grown up a block from the Atlantic Ocean, nature - especially the ocean - has always been a special sign of God’s presence in my life. The gentle waves carrying a sailboat along the waters, a rough stormy current churning the waters, the beautiful rainbow after the storm – God speaks to my heart in all.


God seems to be able to catch my heart through music. God stirs my heart through song, often through the words and music of others and once in a while God’s own melody sings through me. And so, as my closing, I offer a song that was the fruit of my retreat a few summers ago.  The words of the song are based on a prayer attributed to Pedro Arrupe, SJ – Fall in Love.  The prayer and music call me each day to center my life on what I am truly in love with. The following link leads to very simple video that plays this song while reflecting on how I continue to find God in my life.


Lisa Olivieri SSJ

Sister Lisa has spent most of her religious life in all levels of education and has been missioned in North Carolina as well as in Pennsylvania. She currently teaches computer science and technology at Chestnut Hill College and enjoys playing the flute for liturgy and the ensemble at the college

No comments:

Post a Comment